Cape Contract Furniture uses many processes and materials that prevent, reduce or minimize negative effects to the environment. This includes recycling, control mechanisms, material substitution to industry available Green solutions and efficient use of resources.
All of our continuing changes are made with the ultimate goal of providing products that are made from 100% recyclable content and can be recycled once again after use. In addition to meeting sustainable goals, Cape embraces an ongoing mission to reduce and eliminate VOC’s, Formaldehydes and other emissions that have negative effects on our environment.
- Cape metal chair and table bases are made from a minimum of 25% recycled steel. This recycled metal content falls under the LEED Material and Resources MR 4.1 & 4.2. listed minimums of 10 & 20%. All metal off-cuts and shavings during production are accumulated in recycle containers.
- Cape standard powder coated epoxy finishes for both chairs and table bases are 99.9% VOC free.
- With the availability of Soy based foam / Bio based foam processes, Cape chairs can qualify for a LEED credit under Rapidly Renewable Materials MRc6
- Capes uses only FCS certified plywood for chair shells and internal seat structures when plywood is required as a core frame.
- Adhesive’s used are water based , have low VOC emissions and do not contain urea-formaldehyde
- High Pressure Laminates, Wilsonart, Formica and Pionite are Greenguard Indoor Air Quality certified and Greenguard for Children and Schools Certified
- Nevamar laminate is Greenguard Indoor Air Quality certified
- Up to 60% of laminate is comprised of renewable resources and manufactured in facilities
compliant with all environmental requirements.
- Table top cores offered with Nu-green particle board are made from 100% recycled material with Formaldehyde emissions and VOC levels below Greenguard minimums.
Nu-Green core can contribute to up to 6 LEED credits. IEQ.1, MR.1, MR.2, MR 5.1, MR 5.2, MR 7
- Over 75% of Cape product is packaged with material that can be recycled, and can qualify for an MRc2 Construction Waste Management, LEED credit.
- All hardwood frames are harvested from sustained yield certified plantations.